In this article, I am going to tell you how to use WordPress from primary level. After reading this article, you’ll be able to create your personal website on WordPress.
Table of Contents
Choose a Domain Name
First of all, you need to purchase a domain name and hosting for your website.
Tips You Should Keep in Mind for a Good Domain Name
- Try to find your domain name with .com extension.
- Use keywords (think of words that define your business).
- Try to keep your domain name short.
- Should be easy to pronounce.
- Avoid dash and hyphens in your domain name (avoid numbers).
- Avoid trademarked names.
Best Websites to Register a Domain Name
Best domain providing companies that are recommended for your includes;
Choose Hosting for Your Website
Hosting is storage where your website is stored with its all information. So definitely, after selecting a domain name, you need to purchase hosting as well.
Factors to Keep in Mind While Purchasing Hosting Service
- Always take an in-depth look at reviews given by users on hosting. It will help you to compare each hosting service with one another.
- Response time.
- Desired service is providing free SLL for SEO.
- This is providing free domain name or not.
Best Recommended Hosting Websites
- Of the best recommended hosting sites include;
Installation of WordPress on Your Hosting
Every hosting will provide you with the feature of auto-installation of any site software like WordPress, Joomla etc. For detail guidance read our article on how to install WordPress.
Select the WordPress from software and then install the choose the domain on which you want to WordPress. Also select the protocol https:// while installing the WordPress. Set the best username and secure password.
How to Install the Theme
To understand how to use WordPress, you should be aware of the themes of the WordPress. Most of the themes are free available on WordPress, while some of them are paid. Themes let you change your website appearance while your content remains the same.
WordPress volunteer (contributors) are working hard and providing free themes for its users. Similarly, many themes are also paid as well. You can download and activate different free themes and customize them according to your requirements. For changing in themes;
- Change theme from Appearance>Themes
- Click on Add new button for installing a new theme.
- You can also import any theme from your local computer by clicking on Upload Theme button.
- You can customize the activated theme by clicking the activate button from Appearance>Customize.
Note: Always keep in mind that every theme may have different options in the customization screen, depending on its features. Every theme may have its premium themes version, which contains proper features for users.
Create a Landing Page on WordPress
The landing page is the specific page on which visitors land from paid or third-party traffic source. The primary purpose of this page is to convince your visitors to subscribe you or connect with you via email or any other social network.
Now let’s go over the steps needed to create a landing page for your website.
- Choose a perfect landing page theme for your website.
- Install a theme from Appearance>Themes>Add New
- Activate theme and import demo content to your website
- Customize your theme according to your requirements.
Here we have some of the best-recommended plugins for creating a landing page if you don’t know to code.
- Beaver Builder
- Elementor Pro
- Divi Builder
- Optimize Press
- Thrive Architect
Making Secure WordPress using SSL
SSL (secure sockets layer) is the standard security technology. This is used for establishing a link between the web server and the browser. Because it keeps the visitor’s data secure and protected, Website with SSL always has more probability of ranking higher in Google and other Search engines.
For making your website secure with SSL, you must have an SSL certificate. To provide you with the best security protection, SSL Certificate requires your website to have its personal dedicated IP address.
- Buy an SSL certificate online.
- Activate the certificate to your website
- Install the certificate
- Update your site, and now, your website will be upgraded to HTTPS.
WordPress Hosting providing companies which offer free SSL Certificate along with their hosting are;
How to Add Plugins to the WordPress
Plugins are bits of software which extends your website functionality. Like themes, most of the plugins are also free.
Let’s have a look at how to add new plugins to the WordPress website
Add plugins from Plugins>Add new
Search for your plugin, then activate and install.
Points to Keep in Mind While Installing Plugins
- Check reviews on the plugin (4 stars rating is considered as good)
- Check either the desired plugin is compatible with your version of software or not.
- Check the last update of the plugin and how many people are using that plugin.
Important Plugins You Should Add to Every Website
Akismet is a spam blocker plugin which secures your website from every kind of spam. This plugin scans spam by automatically and blocks it.
W3 Total Cache
Caching every aspect of your website, this plugin reduces the download time and increase your site performance. W3 Total Cache is one of the fastest WordPress website performance optimizing plugin.
NINJA forms plugin is used to create a contact form on the website. This plugin is coding free and creates the best quality contact form with advance features by the drag-and-drop system.
WordPress website can be hacked easily from dictionary attack and from many others ways that hackers choose, so these websites require higher security. ithemes Security plugin works for website security and provides better protection.
SEO by Yoast
SEO BY YOAST is free SEO plugin. This plugin provides basic SEO for the website that will help you to rank on Google.
Setup Blog on Your WordPress Site
If you have some skills, you must have your blog. You can earn money with a blog in a different way.
If you are thinking of why to start blogging, then here we have about 20 different ways to earn with the blog.
- Display Google Ad-sense ads
- Affiliate marketing
- Selling sponsored blog posts
- Selling Ads directly
- Creating a forum
- earning by flipping websites
- Writing reviews for others business
- Selling online courses
- Selling e-books on the website
- Creating a job board
- By host paid webinars
- Start consulting business
- By offering freelancing services
- Providing paid WordPress themes
- Developing WordPress plugins
- Creating an Amazon Affiliate shop
- Creating drop-shipping services with Ali express or other websites
- Creating an Online Store
- Providing skills by coaching
- Starting an e-commerce business
How to Create Categories?
Categories are used by blogs or websites which are providing multiple services.
Creating a New Category
You can create categories using dashboard from Posts> Categories> Add New.
You can also create a category parent or child of other categories.
Select category type from Post> Add New> Documents.
After selecting a specific category, your post will be shown in that category.
Create About Us Page?
About us page is a self-explanatory page where you will tell your visitors about your business and who you are. This page will help your users to understand what your business is about. This page can be created from add new page option.
Create Contact Page?
On contact page, the actual owner of the website puts his Social information. This page helps the visitors to contact the Website Admin.
Like About us page, contact page can also be created from pages> add new page. These pages can also be created from different page builders. Many themes contain by default About us and Contact us page.
Web Analytics on WordPress
Web analytics is the technique by which you can track record of your audience. This process helps site owner to examine about visitors. This is important to identify what your visitors are searching on your page. So you can take advantage of web analytics to know what your visitors are looking for and what they need. There are many free plugins available on the internet for web analytics.
Nothing is easy in life unless you don’t move towards practical !!Hassaan Khan
I hope now you have been known about what is WordPress and how to use it. If you are facing any problem in using WordPress, Feel free to ask me in the comment section below. I’ll surely help you as much as I can.