Many People are searching about “what is WordPress?” and they didn’t get any specific answer about their queries yet. In this article, I’ll guide you about the complete introduction of WordPress & its tools.
Wanna learn WordPress from scratch? Ultra guidance of how to use WordPress.
Before starting your business on WordPress, you must know that what WordPress is. WordPress is software for Making websites (Also known as CMS) written in PHP language.
It is also called a Swiss Army Knife because of its multi-purpose functionalities. You can use WordPress for creating multiple types of websites.
Firstly, it was started as a blogging tool. It is simple to use, free, and open-source platform for building mobile-ready websites. Now a days WordPress is considered as the best blogging platfrom. It has plugins and themes and host media, forums, and stores.
You can create every kind of websites using WordPress including:
- Blog website
- E-commerce website
- Business Website
- Newsletter Website
- Photography Website
- Music website
- Social network
- Online learning website & for many more purposes.
You have to believe that about 35%-40% of the top 1 million sites are created on WordPress. This is the estimate of how much people are using WordPress.
Table of Contents
What is CMS?
As a beginner, you must know about CMS. You must have an idea about “What is CMS and how it works?”
CMS or Content Management System is a software that stores the content of any website. It has its front-end and bac-end. It allows its users to use a different kind of templets. There are many types of CMS available on the internet & most of them are paid and free as well. WordPress is the perfect example of free CMS.
CMS has built-in SEO and support for user management. It has built-in support for email management and document management as well. It allows every kind of extension to its users through software known as plugins.
This Image explains all the features of CMS.
Different Types of WordPress
WordPress comes in two different versions.
- WordPress.com (paid version)
- WordPress.org (free version)
Are you guys thinking about we said that WordPress is a free source? Yes, of course! One of the types mentioned above of WordPress is a free and source platform.
WordPress.org is a free version of WordPress, and many selected developers are working on it. This is run by volunteers, also called contributors. Let’s take a side by side comparison of both versions of WordPress.
Comparison Between WordPress.org & WordPress.com
- Installation and hosting: Learn how to install wordpress by step by step guide, WordPress.com have many limitations, and you can’t download it into your Pc, but WordPress.org can be downloaded and hosted at any place you want. So wordpress.org is a winner in this feature.
- Domain name: WordPress.org has a cheaper domain as compare to wordpress.com, and you can select the domain of your choice in wordpress.org. Know more about what is domain. So WordPress.org is the winner.
- Storage Space: In wordpress.com, you are given limited storage, but in wordpress.org, you can increase storage according to your requirements. So again, wordpress.org is the winner.
- Maintenance & Security: You can secure wordpress blog by using various free plugins. At this point, wordpress.com is better than wordpress.org because it is maintained and secure by WordPress itself. But you can manage and secure your website on wordpress.org using different free plugins. So, at this point, both are the same.
- Flexibility in theme editing and integrating plugins: At this point, .org will be the Perfect choice because .org provides us a lot of free themes and plugins with every type of flexibility.
- Backup: Again, wordpress.org is a winner because it allows you to create a backup using different free plugins.
- SEO: At this point, you can’t compare wordpress.com with .org because wordpress.com users can’t rank their website on Search Engine because of some limited services. But .org provides you Built-in SEO tools and plugins. .org can easily can crawl your site by Google crawler because of many SEO plugins.
- Cost & Expense: Again, wordpress.org is a winner because it is cheaper than WordPress.com. WordPress cost is not more then their services.
- Advertising: Again, wordpress.org is a winner because you can putt advertisements on your website according to you.
- Making Money: As wordpress.org has more flexibility as compare to wordpress.com, so .org can make more money in WordPress because it has no limitations. You can groom your site’s income by using lots of Ads Plugins.
How WordPress Works?
WordPress is the most straight forward web creating platform which can be used by a person of any age. This CMS requires 0% programming skills. You can any free drag and drop page builder to create any type of web.
It is completely controlled by its dashboard. The dashboard is the control center of the Website. It works much similar to a car dashboard. This is completely controlled by the administrator.
How WordPress Dashboard Works?
The dashboard allows users to show whatever they want to display on Front-end. Dashboard consists of:
- Posts: Post is the first option in the WordPress dashboard, which allows the administrator to create a new post, show all posts, and the whole access of posts, including editing of a post and deleting of post as well. Follow this one to write best post that ranks on Google first page.
- Media library: You can upload media on your website using media library options in the dashboard. It stores all the uploaded media, including images, videos, and documents. You can add or delete any media from this option.
- Pages: Pages also works the same as a post option in the dashboard. It allows users to add a new page in the website or control on all existing pages.
- Comments: Comments option shows all the comments from the website. It also allows the administrator to approve or reject any comment from your posts.
- Appearance: The appearance option plays a massive role in changing the appearance of the website. It allows the administrator to add new themes, changing the appearance of the theme, and customizing the website. This option also contains the Menu option in its dropdown list. The menu option allows the administrator to show pages on the screen.
- Plugins: this option allows admin to add different functionalities on the website. WordPress contains a lot of free plugins. You can install and activate plugins by clicking add new button in plugins option.
- Users: User allows user to add new user, deleting existing users, and managing a user account. The administrator can add a new user to this option.
- Tools: Tools option contains Export, import, and backup option. You can export and import your WordPress website from these options. You can also create a backup from this option. But the best practice is to use different plugins for creating a backup and exporting and importing of website.
- Setting: This portion of WordPress should not be disturbed if you don’t have an idea about the WordPress setting area. Setting area contains;
- Reading: Reading option allows us to show a number of posts per page. It also controls whether the admin wants to show the latest post or Static page on the Landing page.
- General: The general setting contains the site title, tagline, and website URL. Never play with the website URL because this process may destroy your website. This option also allows to Change language site, and membership enable and disable option.
- Writing: It allows us to change the default setting of categories. The main feature of this option is that it alerts the Search Engine (written in Updated Services block) for your web content.
- Discussion: It contains different checkbox options relevant to Posts pages and media settings.
- Permalinks: Permalinks allow to change the posts and pages links structure.
This is how the WordPress dashboard works. I hope that this article will be helpful to you. Tell me what you got by reading this article!